It had been quite an eventful and exciting Yr2011 for my family.
1) Forsake my beauty sleep to do the night toilet train for JK.. imagine he's already 5 and yet my mum says it's ok to wear diapers to sleep.. *slap*
He's such a fast learner.. get it over & done with within a month.
2) Hubby achieved a significant move in his career. *clap clap*
3) Done my 5th trip to Taiwan - just one word SHIOK... and the 6th one coming soon hahaha
4) Celebrate our Tin Anniversary in style - 14days Europe tour/shopping trip (at least for me :P) Talking abt that.. I still have not upload the photos.... sigh... talk abt time management
I feel abit left out by not doing up the usual family Christmas dinner since Hubby said it was too rush and tiring since we were just back from the trip. In the end, we had Kenny Rogers ta bao instead... not that fulfilling.
So decided to cook for the family for New Year instead hahaha...
It's SLOW COOKED BACK RIBS / SHRIMP SALAD / GARLIC BREAD
Saw this unique way of cooking ribs here.
Using slow cooker to stew the pork ribs till tender before grilling them with the essential sauces.
However, I tweaked the recipe a little using a new found ingredient: APPLES!
You see, during my trip to the Swiss Alps, we are accomodated in one small homestay resort. We had the most simple yet delicious dinner there. The stewed pork + potatoes were excellent. You can really taste the real pork taste. It was stewed in the simplest ingredients: packaged meat stock + apples + olive oil... no browning of meat, no garlic, i.e. no hassles.
Slow Cooked Back Ribs
- 1 kg of Prime Ribs
- 1 litre of stock (I used the packaged Campbell Chick stock)
- 2 apples
- Approx 120ml of BBQ sauce & 50ml of Plum sauce or Hoisin sauce for the coating & grilling
- Use a 4.5-5 litre big of slow cooker for this cooking
- Clean the ribs and chunk the apples
- Put everything in the slow cooker and put on LOW mode to cook for the next 5hours
- Then you can sit back and relax :)
- Once the ribs are tender (not falling off from the bones), take them out and discard the stock OR you can use the stock to prepare a soup dish which I did.
- Mix well on the sauces together and coat on the ribs.
- Put the ribs into the oven & set grill mode for the next 10-15mins till they are browned. Do remember to coat them with the sauces from time to time during the grilling
- Then you are set for the dinner !!!